The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: SUGGEST gay topics for this new gay area  (Read 41948 times)

Offline Dave Cullen

• Author/Journalist
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Founder, Editor
    • Columbine
SUGGEST gay topics for this new gay area
« on: January 12, 2006, 11:02:24 AM »
Let's hear what you want to see.

Don't limit yourself.

We've got room for a whole lot of gay threads, organized into several different areas (boards, in the lingo of discussion-board sites.)

So suggest threads or suggest whole categories of gay topics.

Offline jack

• Tough Old Bird
  • Obsessed
  • aloha y'all...
    • My Adventures In Paradise
Re: SUGGEST gay topics for this new gay area
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2006, 03:19:15 PM »
how about a thread for men"of a certain age", and those who would like to hear of their experience of life thus far, to meet and compare life and "brokeback" experience.  say 45 or 50 on up.  i love the youngsters, but it has been a revelation to meet so many men who share eras and current life situations.  the good old days were really not all that hot for some.

jack
"through Seneca Falls, and Selma, and Stonewall..."

Offline WLAGuy

• Obsessed
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2006, 05:16:39 PM »
I would love to see a thread on Bisexuality.

Offline bookgirl

• Feet Wet
    • My Live Journal
Re: SUGGEST new topic
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2006, 05:56:38 PM »
This is the only area I could find for suggesting new topics for posting: however, it's not a gay topic. 

I would be interested in a thread about people who have seen the movie multiple times (like myself) and find out why they keep going back.  I know that some users (myself included) have mentioned this at various other topics on this forum.  I just thought it might be easier if it was under a topic of it's own.

thanks   :)

Offline Jack Nasty

• Obsessed
  • aka: Tim
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2006, 08:27:20 AM »
Here are some:

A thread for discussing living with HIV (for those who are and those who care - but a preaching and finger pointing free zone).

Gender roles and what it means to be "Gay", Queer", "Bear", "Faggot", "Twink", etc., as well as what it means to be a "Man" are already going on in some threads (individuals and discussing Jack and Ennis) so this could be a hot topic. One for the ladies as well?

Gay Arts (by gay artists)

I am sure i will think of more.  ;)

FUR IS DEAD! for more inFURmation: http://www.infurmation.com/

Offline waynerman

• Experienced
  • Gay Author
    • This Way Madness Lies
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2006, 08:49:49 AM »
I would like to see a thread devoted to gay sex. There are a lot of myths, misconceptions, etc., surrounding this topic.

It might be a problem to do this, since it would have to be an "adults only" thing. But you said not to hold back!!
Check out my outrageous erotic novel, "My Name Is Rand," published by Suspect Thoughts Press!

Offline Dave Cullen

• Author/Journalist
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Founder, Editor
    • Columbine
Re: SUGGEST new topic
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2006, 11:14:11 AM »
This is the only area I could find for suggesting new topics for posting: however, it's not a gay topic. 

I would be interested in a thread about people who have seen the movie multiple times (like myself) and find out why they keep going back.  I know that some users (myself included) have mentioned this at various other topics on this forum.  I just thought it might be easier if it was under a topic of it's own.

thanks   :)

We have a very active thread called "Brokeback Mountain Fever Support Group"

http://davecullen.com/forum/index.php?topic=174.0

I think that's what you're looking for. Or something different?

Offline Dave Cullen

• Author/Journalist
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Founder, Editor
    • Columbine
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2006, 11:18:39 AM »
I would love to see a thread on Bisexuality.

Definitely. Long overdue. That's why we even included it in the title of the main area--which will then be divided into subgroups and then threads. We can probably have a whole subgroup on it.

So we should probably narrow it a bit. Which means you're free to suggest several. Or start with one main one. What would you like them/it to be about (WLAGuy or anyone else)? (Meaning, what would you put in the first post? Start us off with a question or two and/or statement.)

Thanks.

Offline Dave Cullen

• Author/Journalist
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Founder, Editor
    • Columbine
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2006, 11:19:29 AM »
I'm liking all these suggestions so far. Keep going.

We're trying to figure out the topics you guys went, and then organize/group them a bit and set the area up.

Offline Dave Cullen

• Author/Journalist
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Founder, Editor
    • Columbine
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2006, 01:00:59 PM »
OK, I started two on bisexuals:

The bisexuals respond! http://davecullen.com/forum/index.php?topic=259.0

What is a bisexual anyway? http://davecullen.com/forum/index.php?topic=260.0

Let me know if that works for you bi's. For now.

Jim should be adding more threads soon.

Offline Dave Cullen

• Author/Journalist
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Founder, Editor
    • Columbine
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2006, 01:06:01 PM »
I would like to see a thread devoted to gay sex. There are a lot of myths, misconceptions, etc., surrounding this topic.

It might be a problem to do this, since it would have to be an "adults only" thing. But you said not to hold back!!

I like that, but I wonder if that one should go with the film or the impact. Maybe starting with "Misconceptions about gay sex revealed by Brokeback" or something. Seems like you want to reach the straight people with the misconceptions, right, and engage them? I don't think they're as likely to be hanging out here. We'll have to find them where they are.

How does that sound?

or maybe, in The Film section: "The Sex: More misconceptions? Do straight people get it?" or "Everything the straight person ever wanted to know about the gay sex in Brokeback, but were afraid to ask"?

Offline WLAGuy

• Obsessed
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2006, 01:36:06 PM »
OK, I started two on bisexuals:

The bisexuals respond! http://davecullen.com/forum/index.php?topic=259.0

What is a bisexual anyway? http://davecullen.com/forum/index.php?topic=260.0

Let me know if that works for you bi's. For now.

Jim should be adding more threads soon.

Actually you could probably combine those two into one for now, and call it something like "Bisexuality and BBM."

Offline Dave Cullen

• Author/Journalist
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Founder, Editor
    • Columbine
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2006, 01:45:58 PM »
Actually you could probably combine those two into one for now, and call it something like "Bisexuality and BBM."

I'd rather not confine it to Brokeback--though you're free to include that in your discussion.

It's technically much easier to combine two threads than split them, so I thought I'd start with them separate, see how it goes and combine if that's the direction people want.

Offline waynerman

• Experienced
  • Gay Author
    • This Way Madness Lies
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2006, 03:30:32 PM »
or maybe, in The Film section: "The Sex: More misconceptions? Do straight people get it?" or "Everything the straight person ever wanted to know about the gay sex in Brokeback, but were afraid to ask"?

I like either of these. Do you think there would be enough interest?
Check out my outrageous erotic novel, "My Name Is Rand," published by Suspect Thoughts Press!

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2006, 03:32:41 PM »
I don't know if this topic would get much response, but maybe a thread for the "legalities" of being gay.

Protections/precautions we need to take in our relationships.  Making sure that our significant others are protected and taken care of.  Writing wills the correct way.  Adoption issues.  Property ownership.  Things of this nature.

Those who have gone through the processes listed above could maybe shed some light on these subjects to others who are considering going through this.