The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Collectibles Corner – Showcasing and discussing everything collectible.  (Read 115345 times)

Offline cabin

• Obsessed

Time to show our true selves by exposing our passions in regards to the World of Collectibles.  This Thread is to showcase your collectibles through discussion, pictures (we all love pictures of collections) and suggestions to would-be collectors.  You may have inherited a collection or started one yourself.

Who knows, maybe someone in the Forum collects the same things you do.

I recommend you post 2 or 3 pictures at a time and keep us updated as you add to your collection or want to show an additional angle on your items.  Remember, a picture is worth a thousand words.  Also, any more than 2 items is a collection, so if your collection is small, large, inexpensive, or worth a small fortune let us here and see about it.

Offline cabin

• Obsessed
I’ve had a passion for collecting for a few years (lol) so here I go.    I collect a few subjects but will start off with the most extensive one.  My collection of Fiesta Dinnerware (from here on known as Fiestaware) started about 25 years ago when I stumbled on a yellow gravy boat at a yard sale.  I didn’t know what it was, but knew I liked it.  The problem with the item was that it had the biggest chip you’ve ever seen.  I didn’t know any better, but I pulled out a one-dollar bill not realizing what I was starting and bought it.

So I started out with Fiestaware, however, branched out to most of the other similar lines from the same manufacturer, Homer Laughlin China Company.

Offline cabin

• Obsessed
OK, first picture --  the infamous yellow gravy boat that started it all and notice the chip on the base below the handle.  Yes, I still have it after all these years.

Offline cabin

• Obsessed
OK, second picture – picture of a small room converted into my collection room.  You are seeing about half of my collection and now includes vintage, newer, and most of the similar lines.  The rest is in boxes and major pieces displayed through out the house.

Offline BrokenOkie

• Former Mod
  • Obsessed
    • The Dave Cullen Forum Band
It's Fiesta Heaven!  ;D  Very impressive collection, Gerry - congrats!

Will dig around and see if I still have any pix of what I've collected for years. 

Offline maturben

• Obsessed
  • I am a BBM groupie/junkie.
gerry----really like the idea of this thread and is further proof that I must get a good digital camera so I can take and post pics

Fiesta ware!!  remember that from when I was very young as my mom had it----over the years the pieces just disappeared

bob
"maintain a more than usually creative relationship to reality" ( a quote from Land's End by Michael Cunningham)

Offline Lola

• Membership_deactivated
  • Obsessed
WOW Gerry, they are gorgeous!! 

I collect Barbies, here are three (I'll be back);

Scarlett

Dorothy

Rose

FUNGURL

Offline cabin

• Obsessed
Bob:

Yep, many of my pieces I found years ago usually in boxes where people were just trying to get rid of them.  The flea market sellers didn't want to carry it so they would slash prices towards closing, I was always running around at the end of the day buying all this stuff up.   Friends used to call me crazy.   :D :D :D

Looking forward to your collection, including the pottery.   btw, are you familiar with Mashiko Pottery -- ?

Offline cabin

• Obsessed

Rose

Lola,

Thanks Lola, it has been many years since I started.

Barbies are probably one of the biggest collectibles for what it seems to be forever.   Not very familiar with Barbies though, but do remember seeing them throughout the years.

btw, "Rose"  not familiar with who they are referencing -- or am I missing something?  lol

looking forward to your other pics --- also if anyone else collects barbies, now's your chance to compare items. 

Also, I would encourage people to ask questions, no photographs required.   You have no idea how willing collectors are to answer any question regarding their collectible, so fire away.

Offline AHappyMan

• Obsessed

Rose

Lola,

btw, "Rose"  not familiar with who they are referencing -- or am I missing something?  lol

I only remember Barbie's from when my kid sister played with 'em when we were kids.
But judging by this photo I'm going to guess that this is Rose from "Titanic".

Lola, do I win the Barbie's Dream House? :D

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
  • FOR HEAVEN's JAKE ! Jakeing off at Jakea.

What a great new thread!!

You'll soon see pictures of my truly enormous FROG collection.

WISE UP

Ing Kräddi Böll & Ingmariposa & Ingelspringel & Ingalicious & IngWriter & Annbilivöbäll WORD WIZARD

sausage-on-a-roll-poster & charkuterimästare

"And maybe, he thought, they'd never got much farther than that."

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
  • FOR HEAVEN's JAKE ! Jakeing off at Jakea.

Btw, Martina added a lovely new little froggie to that collection, when she visited me yesterday in Nice!  ;)

WISE UP

Ing Kräddi Böll & Ingmariposa & Ingelspringel & Ingalicious & IngWriter & Annbilivöbäll WORD WIZARD

sausage-on-a-roll-poster & charkuterimästare

"And maybe, he thought, they'd never got much farther than that."

Offline gnash

• Obsessed
  • ʍous ƃuıɯoɔ ɟo lləɯs lɐʇəɯ əɥʇ
LOL -- frogs, fiesta, commemorative barbie dolls and more!! 

ingy -- do you do toads as well? :D  i have a friend that collects pigs, but she says she's tired of getting pigs for christmas and birthdays year after year..  and it was always so easy to shop for her! LOL.  i sorta do turtles (and tortoises)... for the sunny bathroom. they "live" in there.

gerry -- how funny! i didn't know you were a dish queen! lol, i worked at a fiesta store... okay, here's a question, do you eat off the radioactive red? i once had a man come into our store and he ran out screaming over our shelf of radioactive red vintage fiesta. he said we should post signs about the hazards of shopping in the store. from what i understand you'd have to wear a platter strapped to your chest to equal the radiation that's found in one radioactive watch dial found on some old watches. i don't own any of that red myself, but i do love my modest fiesta collection.

i prefer the newer stuff, if only because we use it every day and it's virtually indestructible. great stuff and gorgeous colors. the last item i bought was a gusto bowl in peacock, and i haven't even seen the heather and evergreen. i love how certain colors "go" with others, like tangerine and turquoise,,, wow! do you have a favorite color or one you don't like? do you collect bauer ware too?

lola -- i never saw the Rose doll by mattel, she looks rather pretty! was there a jack doll too? i bet it they used that side part blaine doll for him...

"Brokeback is about a lost paradise, an Eden."  – Ang Lee

Offline cabin

• Obsessed
jmmy,

Where should I start?   

1.   Dish Queen – we’ll I’ve never been one to gossip…. But..

2.   Nothing stops me from eating off of anything, including the “radioactive red”.. thus my constant dieting.  If it did, I’d switch all dishes to “radioactive red” and be as thin as JJ Walker.

3.  I usually don’t strap platters to my chest, but I once did strap two plates to my chest, with a horn in one hand and a horned hat on my head and went as Wagner’s Valkyrie and almost drowned in the Rheingold, actually it was just somebody’s backyard pool.

4.  I ventured into the newer stuff also, but stopped about 6 or 7 years ago as the colors were coming out fast and furious.  So I mostly stick to the old stuff, but do have lilac, black and some of the bugs, daffy and tweety stuff,  clearance at the Warner store years ago.  I rarely use ours much anymore.   We used to use them for large gatherings, buffets and such.   However, they do tend to be heavy, and if a nick or very small chip befalls one, the value goes to almost 0.   So, not wanting to take the chance anymore, we stopped using them.  Their value is so high, that it aint worth it anymore.

4.  As to color preference,  I’m “versatile” ( a bit over used word on this forum, don’t cha think?  Lol)   Anyway, I do like the red and greens (medium and light green for Christmas).    Cobalt blue, if it is truly in mint condition because light scratches really show up.   Of course, the ever elusive Medium Green is always a favorite as being the rarest color and can go for very high prices.

5. I know of Bauer and lots of other makers but knew better than to venture anywhere else.  It gets out of hand very quickly.

6.  Would like to see some pics of your collection, since I haven’t been activitely looking the past couple of years.  Wish I knew you when you worked at the store, were you aware of what new pieces/colors were destined to become valuable more quickly than others?

Offline gnash

• Obsessed
  • ʍous ƃuıɯoɔ ɟo lləɯs lɐʇəɯ əɥʇ
haha..  jj walker, that's a 'blast' from the past.  :o ;D ;)

i know what you mean about the cobalt. black too and other darks show scratches easily. no cutting steaks on the dark colors, as a general rule. but i *think* you can try firing them again, and the glaze can re-melt and hide those scratches. wouldn't risk on with vintage stuff tho.

yes, the medium green is a great color, and rare. lots of inquiries about that one. i see you have chartreuse too, along with the lilac. since those, along with that sapphire blue, were limited runs, they're more "rare." then again, i sometimes saw those colors at pik and save for a few dollars a plate... i'm not sure which of the new colors are going to be retired, and i'm not a fiesta collector per se, so it's a wait and see game as to what HL china is going to do next. i am curious now about the new colors tho..! hmm.

i dont have pics of our dishes, and they're certainly not on display like your collection!! what i should do it take a pic of my drying rack,, i just did the dishes, haha. i am also a fan of blue willow china, and recently acquired a set of red and white ware that's similar but with an early american feel...

btw, you're not kidding about the weight of fiesta, esp the new stuff. a woman came into the store once and said that her cabinets collapsed from the weight. a huge crash in the night, but surprisingly, not much new fiesta was broken! the new vitrified china is tough stuff indeed.

i am a big fan of apricot --- that color seems to have an unusual sheen that the other colors don't have. i hated it at first, that doll-flesh color, but i grew to like it's vintage charm and the fact that it looks great with black. unfortunately it's also discontinued so i never picked up any of that color.

if you are looking for a particular piece, let me know. my friends have tons of it and they often sell via mail order. old and new... it looks like you have a red teapot missing a lid in the photo!

mmm, my favorite bauer pieces are the big oil jars, they look great in outdoor settings. but bauer isn't high fired and the new stuff, especially, chips so easily -- so i didn't bother buying any of that even though i adore the colors and shapes. we're rough on our plates,, so bauer would not last long at all!!

"Brokeback is about a lost paradise, an Eden."  – Ang Lee