The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: The Rose Garden  (Read 55704 times)

Offline Brokeback_1

• Obsessed
The Rose Garden
« on: February 03, 2007, 02:00:12 AM »
I thought we should have a thread devoted to the most widely planted of all garden shrubs, namely the genus Rosa. So i spoke with a mod and she thought it would be a wonderful idea.

There are serious gardeners in here, and they deserve a serious thread dedicated to the Rose.

Every spring i go to nurseries and see the same old same old, with the usual addition of boring scentless landscape shrubs which have almost no appeal at all. people plant them for color, and that is ok, YET there are far better choices around!

I always use the rhododendron as a prime example of a shrub which is planted by the million: people have no qualms about its' 3 week bloom period at all, yet for 48  or 49 weeks of the year, rhodo's are just dull. Why not plant a really spectacular Old rose, which may have 2-300 blooms on it at once over the course of a month? Why not plant for fragrance? Why not just do a bit of research and plant GOOD Roses instead of the 10 or 20 hybrid teas always available?

Don't get me wrong, there are some gorgeous HT's out there, modern ones; yet there are about 5,000 Hybrid Teas available. branch out! Get a good flower on a good plant! because quite frankly a lot of HT's have lovely flowers on really crappy plants, JFK being a perfect example. you get a lovely rose on a defoliated, disease ridden plant!!
There was some open space between what he knew and what he tried to believe but nothing could be done about it, & if you can't fix it, you've got to stand it

Offline Brokeback_1

• Obsessed
Re: The Rose Garden
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2007, 02:21:10 AM »

Rosa gallica 'Versicolor' aka Rosa mundi

Named for HenryII's mistress, the  fair Rosamund. One of the oldest European roses. Once blooming 3x3 or 4x4, depending on the climate. The gallica is  the most famous of the old European roses and  dates back to antiquity. I just ordered Rosa gallica itself, wanted it for 20 years. THAT is an ordinary but fragrant species yet it has so much history behind it I have to have it
There was some open space between what he knew and what he tried to believe but nothing could be done about it, & if you can't fix it, you've got to stand it

Offline Brokeback_1

• Obsessed
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 02:22:22 AM »

Another striped gallica rose, this variety is called Camieux. I forget, think it goes back to around 1800 or so.

Offline Brokeback_1

• Obsessed
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2007, 02:25:27 AM »

This gallica is out of Russia. It's dated to 1906 but a lot of people think it is older. The name is Alika, and unlike most other gallica roses, this one is a decent shrub size. I saw one last year which was about 7 ' tall and 6 feet wide, nicely proportioned. Like all the gallica roses it blooms just once, but you can smell these plants down the block. The Alika i saw had at least 200 roses on it at any one time, over a 3 week period.

Offline Brokeback_1

• Obsessed
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2007, 02:26:24 AM »

Alain Blanchard dates from the 1830's, it's roughly 4x3. The gallica roses are all very hardy.

Offline Brokeback_1

• Obsessed
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2007, 02:27:36 AM »

Duchesse de Montebello, a hybrid gallica. THIS is very 19th century looking, shows the infusion of other strains.

Offline Brokeback_1

• Obsessed
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2007, 02:39:00 AM »

James mason, the newest of all gallica roses, hybridised by peter Beales in the UK in 1988. It's a pretty nice shrub, I just ordered one.

Offline Brokeback_1

• Obsessed
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2007, 02:40:01 AM »

Rosa gallica 'officianalis', the legendary Apothecary's Rose.

Offline Brokeback_1

• Obsessed
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2007, 02:41:26 AM »

de la Maitre de l'Ecole. from the 1840's

Offline Brokeback_1

• Obsessed
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2007, 02:45:41 AM »

Ok, now this is a famous rose if there ever was one, L'Imperatrice Josephine. It's a decent sized plant. It was also once under the category Rosa frankfurtiana, which no longer is used.

I have always found that Josephine has very delicate petaling. Like all the gallica roses the foliage tends toward grey/green Depending on your soil, it can be rather lax in it's growth habit. If you want one very romantic gallica rose try this one, I guarantee you that nobody else will have it. I just ordered it, 12.50. ...mail order roses from the niche nurseries are very very good in the main and you get fantastic value for the money.

Offline Brokeback_1

• Obsessed
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2007, 02:48:04 AM »
Supposing anybody reads this, what do you think of the gallica roses?

I thought I'd post examples of different categories one at a time, say gallica today, Damask over the weekend, etc.

Have fun, this can be a very good thread!

Offline Arethusa33

• Membership_deactivated
  • Obsessed
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2007, 02:59:15 AM »

Have fun, this can be a very good thread!

Yes Brokeback_1, I think that we can love both cowboys and roses.Your new thread is great!

Offline Brokeback_1

• Obsessed
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2007, 03:20:48 AM »
Thanks Arethusa! Hope people visit it!

Offline annabel

• Obsessed
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2007, 04:43:50 AM »
I love roses, although I'm not very good with them.  In our town, we have a senior center dedicated to the long deceased politician Tip O'Neill who was an avid rose grower.  This garden is spectacular and my girl scout crew and I go over a couple times a year andweed it for them.  I'd like to say I'm doing it because I'm noble; I actually let them do the work and I meander through and admire the different varieties and breath in all the beautiful smells.

Offline Brokeback_1

• Obsessed
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2007, 04:55:58 AM »
LOL

Your nose is noble!

That's the thing, there are too many roses so overbred they have no scent. Or so overbred they have hips so big birds can't even feed on the seed pods, a magnet for songbirds. Or so overbred the flower is gorgeous and the plant simply sucks, bigtime.

There are magnificent roses out there for the asking;  people think they are delicate plants but nothing could be further from the truth. Yes, they need pruning, mostr definately. Yes they often give a faster rebloom when you deadhead BUT ONLY WITH SOME VARIETIES. SOME VARIETIES NEVER NEED PRUNING AT ALL, SOME JUST NEED 'TIP PRUNING'. iF YOU OVER PRUNE QUITE A NUMBER YOU LOSE THE NEXT FLUSH OF BLOOM BECAUSE THE NEW SHOOTS ARE 1-2 NODES BACK.

Some can simply be hacked, others need to be let alone. Still others, prune while dormant. Also, with just a bit of knowledge, a person can have  a spectacular garden and NOT spray their roses to the point where you kill every living thing around.  Some insect infestations need to be dealt with but most can be left alone: why kill leaf eater bees, for example? They just nibble leaves.

A garden should be natural and americans over clean, over prune and over spray. TOO tidy is not good!!!!!