The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Brokeback Mountain Memorabilia  (Read 260692 times)

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
Brokeback Mountain Memorabilia
« on: June 30, 2006, 01:28:46 AM »
The owner of many of the props used in Brokeback Mountain has, for the last three months, been placing them up for auction on Ebay.  I was keeping track of them and how much they went for and was looking for a thread to post the information on and found there IS no appropriate thread for something like this.

I thought I would start a BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN MEMORABILIA THREAD where people could post information about items of interest related to the book or film.

This thread could include one of a kind items like the props and costumes used in the film or items of interest and sold in stores—unique things we might not know about that someone comes across.

We could also use the thread to put in writing items that are not available, but that we might like to see become available.   Enniswear anyone?  A calendar?  Brokeback Ken & Skipper?

DO NOT INCLUDE:
Photographs/movie stills/posters—it is too broad and cumbersome, unless it’s a special package deal of some kind—like the BBM Press Kit, or the limited edition Canadian "Swerve" magazine that profiled the movie locations.

Also, DVD releases has its own thread.

I’ll begin with a few posts about the movie props.
I’ll start with the obvious!

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
Re: Brokeback Mountain Memorabilia
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2006, 01:31:04 AM »
The Shirts

All you need to say is "the shirts" and people know what you’re talking about--Jack Twist and Ennis del Mar’s work shirts, lovingly entwined together as one—iconic pieces of film history, were sold on Ebay by Variety-The Children’s Charity.

165 bids were placed and the winner, Tom Gregory, paid a sum of $101,100.51 for these items.  Focus included a COA (certificate of authenticity) and required the eventual winner to sign a release stating, among other things, that the shirts would not be destroyed nor any activity undertaken to undermine the integrity of the film.

Tom has generously displayed the shirts on several occasions, like the Los Angeles GLAAD Awards and at lectures like one held at A Different Light Bookstore in West Hollywood.  They are currently available to be seen at a museum in Hollywood until at least July 31st.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2006, 01:34:21 AM »
Jack Twist’s 1950 GMC: Half-ton pickup truck

Jack’s pickup was auctioned off in March, receiving 48 bids and selling for $60,100.
This is the truck we see him drive up in, in the beginning of the film, and later when he performs in the rodeo in Childress, TX, where he first meets Lureen.

Rob Freeman is the new owner of this item and for his charity, The Rob Freeman Foundation, he auctioned off a:

Brokeback Mountain Truck Tour

The winner was Bob Welsh, with a bid of $2,051.00.
Mr. Welsh, will be taking his grown son on the trip with him.
For more information on the Truck Tour and Rob Freeman and his foundation, visit this link:

http://thebrokebacktruck.ca/
« Last Edit: July 04, 2006, 01:14:31 AM by Mooska »

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2006, 01:38:07 AM »
Brokeback Mountain original tent

This item is the "T" in the FNIT and SNIT scenes.  Imagine owning this item!
It sold for $4,050.00 with 42 bids being tallied.

Heath Ledger’s Blue & Tan western shirt

This was Ennis’s blue and tan western shirt, and was purchased from an extra in the movie Brokeback Mountain. It was worn in the scene where Jack comes to visit Ennis after he’s gotten notice about the divorce.  It is marked with a sharpie #16 which is believed to be the scene it was in.  The extra originally purchased it from a sale that occurred after the end of filming.

Sold for $599.00
(I believe one of our forum members purchased this item, but do not have that info.)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2006, 01:17:18 AM by Mooska »

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2006, 01:41:24 AM »
Brokeback Mountain belt buckle/cast and crew gift

This unique item was a gift from Ang Lee to members of the cast and crew.
It’s a bronze colored belt buckle with Jack and Ennis on horseback carved/etched into it.
Written on it is: "An Ang Lee Film/Calgary, 2004"

One of these items sold for    $910.00

« Last Edit: July 04, 2006, 12:51:52 AM by Mooska »

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2006, 02:03:32 AM »
The original film postcards

From March through June, the Ebay seller "wills4982" has placed nearly fifty of the Brokeback Mountain props that he is the owner of, on the Ebay auction site.  Tom Gregory had originally gone to Canada and stayed in the man’s house for three days to make a deal to purchase all but one of the original postcards.  This would be Jack’s initial reunion inquiry postcard, Ennis’s "you bet" reply card, the "return to sender" card informing Ennis of the bad news about Jack, and one that was never used concerning Ennis telling Jack his divorce came through.  These were sold to Mr. Gregory for an undisclosed amount.  The other postcard where Jack writes "Fish should be jumping" was auctioned off and Tom Gregory eventually purchased that one as well.

The following are all of the props sold by seller "wills4982" in the order they were auctioned off during the past three months.  I’ll break it up into several sections to make it easier on the eye!

The PROP is underlined and the Winning Bid is in bold!

Ennis’s water canteen
(Used up on Brokeback Mountain)
$1,035.00

Ennis’s lighters
(the one’s he used in the bar scenes with Cassie. The notes said there were 3 of them and that two were broken.  How many takes did they do of that scene?)
$1,425.00

Joe Aguirre’s binoculars
(the ones he used to spy on Jack & Ennis and that we saw hanging on the wall behind his desk)
$1,075.50                           

Ennis’s backpack
$519.99

Ennis’s saddle bag
on Brokeback Mountain
$1,070.97

Jack’s saddle bags
"up on Brokeback"
$1,813.99

whisky bottle
(this is the bottle they drink from while on the mountain.  The one where Ennis says
"got whiskey or sumthin’?"  Although not visible in the film, the label reads Black Jacket Superior Whiskey" and has the caricature of a red penguin wearing a black jacket.)
$2,010.51

Gun scabboard
(most visible when Jack removes it after getting down off his horse and places it against
the rock while Ennis is fixing supper)
$1,125.00

Ennis’s whittling knife and carved horse
(one of our forum members bought this and brought these items to the movie screening at the Castro in San Francisco and let everyone have a shot at holding them!)
$2,750.00

Ennis’s cup
$2,225.00

Aguirre’s license plates
$200.00
« Last Edit: July 04, 2006, 01:07:50 AM by Mooska »

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2006, 02:13:00 AM »
Continued:

PROP is underlined
Winning Bid in bold

Ennis’s salt & pepper shakers
(used at the Brokeback Mountain campsite—no word if the salt and pepper were still in them!)
$667.08

Ennis’s mailbox
(What # decals does Ennis apply to the mailbox?)
$1,292.98

coffee pot
(seen on the grill over the campfire)
$2,025.00

camping gear
(this included the dishes Ennis was washing in the stream
and the cup that floats off that he retrieves)
$909.99

Ennis’s 1982 truck license plates
$340.00

Ennis’s 1979 license plates
$360.00

Alma, Jr.’s 1984 plates
...or Kurt's to be more accurate.
$100.00

"Old Rose" whiskey bottle
(from their last trip together)
$2,025.00

water pails
(didn’t notice this in the film, but these pails are
collapsible.  We see Jack fetching water in them)
$1,075.00

Aguirre’s thermos
$77.00

Budweiser beer bottles
(Ennis drinks out of these bottles while waiting for Jack on the reunion day.
Prop master says the labels were all made for these bottles by the prop department.)
$460.99

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2006, 02:19:59 AM »
Continued:

PROP is underlined
Winning Bid in bold

"Roebuck" beer bottles
(used in the first bar scene with Ennis)
$330.00

Jack’s lighter
(the one Ennis asks to use in the first bar scene)
$1325.00

Jack’s watch and wedding ring
$2905.10

Jack’s harmonica
(the notes on this describe it as "dented" –lol)
$2650.00

Joe’s watch
that he gives to Ennis to use when hiring him
$2025.00

Better Most beans label/ with frying pan
and campfire grill

$1262.00

Better Most beans label (2nd one)
$610.00

Better Most beans label (3nd one)
$405.00

Ennis’s 1970 license plates
$915.00

Aguirre’s  license plates
from Jack’s 2nd visit
$157.59

Ennis’s July 4th blanket
(Ennis also uses it as a pillow in the "It could be like this always" scene)
$2,025.00

« Last Edit: July 04, 2006, 12:59:16 AM by Mooska »

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2006, 02:28:27 AM »
Continued:

PROP is underlined
Winning Bid in bold

Ennis’s thermos and lunch pail
$1,258.99

Jack’s "fish jumping" postcard and mail (market ads, electric bill)
(as previously stated above, Tom Gregory also purchased this set to complete his collection)
$12,311.11

Jack’s license plates for GMC truck
$1,534.00

tin plate used by Ennis & Jack
on Brokeback Mountain
$510.00

Ennis & Alma’s July 4th picnic basket
$850.00

tin plate (2nd)
$861.97

tin plate (3rd)
$909.99

Jack’s 1966 license plates
when he met Lureen at Childress rodeo
$1500.00

pup tent
(the one that "smells like cat piss, or worse")
$2,555.55

blanket and cowboy bedroll
(The one Ennis wakes up with in the snow)
$1,025.00

« Last Edit: July 01, 2006, 04:20:29 PM by Mooska »

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2006, 02:34:37 AM »
78th Annual Academy Awards Program

This is a touchy one for me, a love/hate item.  The program for the 2006 Oscars is the first time it was bound like a soft-cover book, instead of stapled and folded.  The outside is Tuxedo black and the inside is printed in black, white and gold.  It’s also the first time that photographs were included.  Most of the photographs are of previous oscar ceremonies.

For photos:  See gnash's Reply #15 on next page!  Thanks, gnash

All of Brokeback Mountain’s nominations are included and there is "one" photograph of the film to be found inside, next to it’s Best Picture nomination.  It’s of Jake and Heath atop their horses at the start of the "untangling the sheep" scene, but it is cropped badly and a rather bad choice to have used that particular photograph.  Also, he may have been a last minute addition or replacement for another, but Jake is also not listed as one of the show participants, and he did introduce one of the montages.  Still, it IS a collectible.

The academy still has some of these programs left for sale and can be inquired about at:
http://www.oscars.org/publications/other/index.html

« Last Edit: July 03, 2006, 01:43:05 PM by Mooska »

Offline gnash

• Obsessed
  • ʍous ƃuıɯoɔ ɟo lləɯs lɐʇəɯ əɥʇ
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2006, 04:26:00 AM »
This thread could include one of a kind items like the props and costumes used in the film or items of interest and sold in stores—unique things we might not know about that someone comes across.

We could also use the thread to put in writing items that are not available, but that we might like to see become available.   Enniswear anyone?  A calendar?  Brokeback Ken & Skipper?

mooska, thanks for your hard work in compiling the information about the auctioned eBay items related to BBM! that's very interesting about how the BBM prop dept made up those budweiser beer bottle lables! also, i wonder who has joe's jackalope ;D

speaking of "unique things" -- here are links to images of my one of a kind hand-crafted brokeback mountain ceramics -- if you want more info, please feel free to send along a PM!

bean bowl / mug
bean bowl / mug 2
another bowl
another bowl 2
coasters
coasters 2
coasters 3
pair of mugs
« Last Edit: July 04, 2006, 01:35:31 AM by gnash »

"Brokeback is about a lost paradise, an Eden."  – Ang Lee

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2006, 12:07:39 PM »
gnash--thanks!

The links to the photos of your handiwork are great!
I have never seen a film inspire so much creativity in my life!  And all for the shear (or is it sheer? -- since J&E herded sheep, I'll go with shear!) -- and all for the shear joy of it!

I've seen poems and songs and jokes and paintings and clothing and lego sculptures and food creations and dishes and parade floats and prose and jewelry and babies (Matilda!) and people travelling and I even saw a Brokeback art piece made out of peeps!

...and best of all...people talking to each other in ways we never dreamed of.

Offline jack

• Tough Old Bird
  • Obsessed
  • aloha y'all...
    • My Adventures In Paradise
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2006, 08:31:26 PM »
hey mooska...

i'll add to that last thought.  because of the creative energy of this site, unleashed by those who sensitve enough to be blind-sided by the story and movie i fond myself wanting to do thingsi haven't done in years, or ever.

i have been inspired to re-invigorate a lagging blog i started, i have been inspired to really work at getting the kind of photographs i have been admiring, i have become determined to find a green thumb somehow after looking at people's gardens, i am even beginning to share recipes or at least think about the best ways to itemize them to share.

all of this burst of creativity and a fierce desire to live in community, even if only a virtual community, with like minded people, rather than as a lone ranger, has flowed from the learning experience of sharing in this forum...

jack   
"through Seneca Falls, and Selma, and Stonewall..."

Offline rickpouch

• Expert
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2006, 09:57:19 PM »
Hey Mooska,

Thanks for composing the list.

Something that's always left off these lists are the jackets that Ennis & Jack wore ( Ennis jacket was brown; Jack's was green).

They were auctioned off at the HRC awards banquet in New York City back in February. My partner and I travelled from Chicago to see Ang and Jake receive awards from HRC (Jake was unable to make it because he was still filming).

Anyway--- a board member of HRC (NYC) won the bid. He paid a lot for them, but nowhere near what Tom Gregory paid for the shirts. You don't hear much about them anymore. I think that I may contact some local HRC people to find out what the winner had done or is doing with the jackets.

My partner and I went to both the New York and L.A. GLAAD awards. We got a chance to see the shirts on display in the lobby of the Kodak Theater at the GLAAD awards. People were snapping photos like mad. It was one of the most popular areas of the awards area.

I had planned to bid on the belt buckle but never did.

I did bid on a signed script at the HRC banquet in NYC and won !
Back then I only paid about $1300. But I'm told that it's worth much more now. But I will never sell it. !

Although I knew about and followed the sale of all the items that you listed---it was great to see them all listed in one place.

Rich/Chicago
(rickpouch) :)

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2006, 12:19:59 PM »
Nomination Postcards

In February, Focus Features included a two page spread of "postcards" to celebrate it's nominations (and also to remind voters, obviously).  There were eight of them, one for each of the nominations.  They were put in trade magazines like the Hollywood Reporter.

They came in a two page spread and the pages were perforated so that you could remove each one separately and actually use them if you wanted.  Some collectors have kept them in the two page format.

Each one has a photo on the front, and no writing.  On the back is the movie and title and the individual nomination.

Best Original Score: The photo for this card is Ennis standing at the 4th of July picnic, looking over at Alma and his girls, the fireworks (and Ennis's inner turmoil) exploding behind him.

Best Cinematography:  This card is the photo of Jack and Ennis looking over toward Brokeback Mountain, backs to us, Jack's legs stretched out toward Ennis, Ennis kneeling in thought.  It's the more colorful photo of this scene that was used in many promo ads.

Best Director:  This one is a photo of Ang Lee himself, squinting on set, looking through a long camera lens, misty mountain in the background.

Best Actor:  This one breaks my heart.  Close-up of Heath's face, in his trailer, tears just about to well up in his eyes, as he's looking at about the only thing he has left of his love, the shirts hanging on a nail.   "Jack, I swear..."

Best Adapted Screenplay:  The reunion embrace.  'Nuff said.

Best Supporting Actor:  Jack, driving away from Ennis after hours of thinking that they'd finally get to be together.  A moment of heartache and tears.

Best Supporting Actress:  One of the few photos of Alma, not seen a great deal.  She's looking off toward her husband, after having just read the "fish should be jumping" postcard, which is in her hand.

Best Picture:  Ennis, adjusting the top button of Jack's shirt, the shirts hanging on the closet door, Brokeback Mountain postcard slightly askew...